Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Outfit: Cloistered and Bookish



In the medieval ages, monks stayed in working on parchment and manuscripts around cloisters similar to the one that I visited today. During this time, monks invented a precursor to sign language because they were required to stay continually silent. I don't think I could ever live that quietly but there is no denying that as I get older, I appreciate quiet time more and more. An early night in reading sounds far more appealing than a night out. Not that I'm a complete homebody, I still love going out with friends but I also love quiet time to myself. Cozying up in pajamas and blankets and settling into a good read is one of life's simple pleasures that I think I will always enjoy. These photos were taken at a nearby museum where I had the cloisters all to myself to enjoy the silence and examine spring's shoots sprouting out of the damp earth.

I have a tradition of buying a souvenir dress whenever I go abroad. This dress came from Oamaru, New Zealand where my husband and I spent some time volunteering at a youth hostel. Oamaru is known as being the steam-punk capital of New Zealand and home to a colony of wild penguins. I found this dress in an art gallery gift shop for eight dollars and knew at once that I found my souvenir. The dress was originally quite a bit longer so I hemmed it up for a nicer fit when I got back to the states. Today I can wear it to school, to church, to the museum, or just to relax at home. 

Outfit Details
Dress: Vintage
Tights: Ballerina Supply Co.
Boots: Steve Madden
Book Broach: Teacher Gift

No comments:

Post a Comment