Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Let's talk about shoes.

The shoe shelf in my closet is stacked with pairs of flat canvas sneakers in a variety of colors and styles. They are casual, cute, and I like the way they look with pretty much every outfit. Oh yeah, and they're super cheap. I think every pair below cost less than 15 dollars (some were purchased secondhand). The problem with these shoes is that they wear out quickly and then you need to buy a new pair. 
After years and years of wearing exclusively this kind of shoe, I have noticed it taking a toll on my feet. Almost every job I have had requires hours of standing, often on very hard floors. After a few hours of making lattes, teaching, or cleaning, my feet would ache and throb and complain at the lack of support they got. A few months ago, I decided I was tired of collapsed arches and sore feet so I began saving up for a good pair of shoes. I researched clogs, boots, chef shoes, and those big white sneakers that old people wear but everything I found looked too practical and not cute enough. It may sound silly but if I was going to spend a decent amount of money on a good pair of shoes, I wanted something that I loved. For months I have been delaying the prospect of spending over a hundred dollars (that's a lot for me) on a pair of shoes while wrestling with the fact that I needed to start treating my feet better. 

And then....
A package from Michigan arrived in the mail. 
These are shoes made in the USA by Wolverine's 1,000 Mile brand. They are beautiful, leather, well made, and most importantly, supportive. I received them a week ago from my friend Rose who works in the shoe industry. I had not told her about my search for good shoes and how I didn't feel willing to buy them for myself. She just spontaneously sent them to me as a surprise gift because she's a wonderful person like that.

And now, my feet don't hurt at the end of the day. These boots can be dressed up or down, They look professional for work and are comfortable for going on walks. My feet are happy for the first time in my adult life and I feel cute at the same time.

I talk a lot in this blog about quality over quantity because it is a philosophy I want to live out in my own life. Simplify. Have a few good things but live within your means. Thanks to my friend Rose's generosity, I have a staple pair of shoes that I can wear all day without my feet hurting. And now that I know what it's like to have proper foot support, I find myself wondering: Why on earth didn't I buy a pair for myself ages ago?
Takeaway: Respect yourself. Take care of yourself. Don't buy a bunch of poor quality shoes just because they are cute. Invest in the good stuff.

I realize that this whole article sounds like an advertisement for Wolverine, but I am seriously stoked about my new boots and wanted to share the whole story. Do you have a favorite shoe story you want to share? Leave it in the comments section below.

To see more 1,000 mile boots, click here.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I love cute shoes and comfy feet! Have you tried putting inserts into your cute canvas sneakers? I put those shoe padding inserts in almost all of my flats (bought at CVS, the kind you cut down to the right size). I've never tried the more expensive gel ones or ones with arch support, etc, but they might be worth it if they make your cute shoes wearable again! :D

    ReplyDelete