Monday, October 3, 2016

I Made a Dress!

This was a first for me. I sewed a dress from a pattern that my mom saved from the 1960's. I am not big on sewing but I wanted to experience how clothes are made so I picked up some fabric from the thrift store, learned how to thread a sewing machine, and got started. The whole project took me a few afternoons to complete and I learned a lot in the process. 
However, one problem I have in life is that sometimes I am a little to eager to do and I don't want to take the time to follow instructions. Oftentimes this works to my advantage because I'm good at getting things done. But other times, when precision is key, it's better to understand what you are doing first. Sewing a dress was one of those times. I had to redo several parts of it, stitch pick, and start anew. The fabric I chose was not the best quality and the final result turned out a little bulkier than I would have liked but.....I did it. Completing a dress may seem like a small accomplishment but it is still one that I'm proud of.

Here is my cell phone sized pocket I added to the front of the skirt. I also included regular pockets because let's face it, dresses with pockets are the best.

     Sewing this dress made me feel more connected to women from past generations. Women who I admire. Women who worked hard and did things themselves. I hope to make more time for sewing projects in the future so I can keep appreciating the work that goes into what I wear.

P.S. you may recognize the top of the dress from this post back in May before the entire piece was completed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment