Monday, June 5, 2017

May Review



A lot has happened this spring: I completed my first full year teaching, I joined a rock climbing gym, and more importantly (in regards to this blog), I've come to some realizations. After attending a blogger conference in April, I decided that career blogging is not for me. This time last year, I was putting all my energy into gaining followers and trying to set up brand partnerships. I was working to turn my blog into something lucrative, but the entire process zapped the joy out of the experience. It made blogging stressful and unsatisfying because to make a living blogging you need to advertise stuff. And despite the fact that I run a fashion blog, I'm really not into stuff. Or at least, I'm not into sending the message that you need stuff to feel fulfilled.

For me, fulfillment comes from doing creative work, from long bike rides on local trails, and from spending time with the people I love. I don't want to curate a perfect looking life driven by clothing sales. Ya know?

So where does that leave me?

I want to create images. I want to express myself in the way I dress. Sometimes these things meet on my blog. From now on, you can expect posts as I feel like making them (no more regular Monday updates) because I'm not trying to run a business here. I'm just hobby blogging. But with my extra time, I'm building a photography portfolio website. I'm photographing more events, more portraits, and practicing the craft that Outfit Zest has let me explore. My photography website is set to launch at the end of June. I'll keep you posted as the details unfold but that's it for now!

Love, Joy

Outfit Details
Thrifted jeans, thrifted shoes.

1 comment:

  1. And tell you what, you have excellent photography skills. You can do great I can feel it. Good luck with your passion. Hope to see your enter fashion photography.

    ReplyDelete