Wednesday, January 13, 2016

I made a skirt.


With the help of my mom and some internet tutorials, I stitched together my first skirt yesterday. My mom worked as a seamstress in a sewing factory when she was younger so she knows all the ins and outs of using a sewing machine (something I find a little intimidating). It was my first time sewing something from scratch since home economics class in high school and I wasn't quite sure how to turn  four feet of fabric into something wearable. The activity proved to be quite simple and I am proud of my finished result. The fabric I chose depicts vintage ladies and dress patterns which seemed fitting for my first big sewing project. I find it inspiring to think about how self-sufficient past generations had to be. People who had to sew their own clothing, bake their own bread, and grow their own vegetables. I want to take little steps in my own life toward a similar lifestyle because I think there is value in knowing where your things come from and the labor that went into them. You usually have a better product at the end of the day while developing a sense of craftsmanship and artistry. 

You can see gathered skirt tutorials here and here.

Outfit Details
Coat: Thrifted (Originally Old Navy)
Hat and Gloves: H&M
Skirt: Home-made (fabric from Joanne's)
Socks: Plato's Closet
Boots: Steve Madden (secondhand)

2 comments:

  1. You just keep getting cooler, Joy! The skirt looks so fun, chic and fabulous. I wish we lived closer together so I could sew with you sometime. Sewing a garment is one of my short term goals. It would be nice to have a sewing buddy. :-) Keep making cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouragement! My next goal is a dress and we'll see where it goes from there.

      Delete