Thursday, March 24, 2016

Outfit: Teacher's Rule


A glorious spring is upon us and it is filled with new beginnings. A month has passed since I started teaching math at the local elementary school and with each day that passes I learn more and more. This time teaching has been a huge confidence boost for me; I have grown comfortable in front of a classroom and I'm not afraid of numbers anymore. In grade school math was my absolute worst subject and I carried the fear of it all the way through high school graduation. One month ago the thought of me teaching math was terrifying. I couldn't believe I had agreed to do it. My entire life I had worked to avoid mathematics: I zoned out in class, I scraped by, I didn't see the point because the subject just wasn't for me. No way in a million years did I ever see myself subjecting students to mathematics.
But today I love teaching math and feel great about it. The rules don't scare me anymore. Math rules are simple and beautiful. Numbers have a grace of there own that I appreciate. And as for teaching: I am learning how to explain things, how to manage the classroom, how to respond to an endless variety of situations. Teaching is a dynamic job. I get to use my mind, my hands, my voice. After a few years of exploring options in the workforce, I think I have found something worth pursuing.
This is a close up of the pin I'm wearing. My mom (who is a teacher) gave it to me because "Every teacher needs a teacher pin." The pin is a little cheesy but it feels like a rite of passage somehow. At the start of my own teaching career, I feel proud to wear it. 

Outfit Details
Dress: Staring a Stars (thrifted)
Cardigan: Hand-me-down
Shoes: Amazon purchase
Teach Pin: Gift

No comments:

Post a Comment