Friday, May 6, 2016

Embracing Femininity


How to Be a Lady:
"A lady is polite, a lady is well dressed.
A lady knows how to dance and play.
A lady is caring, compassionate, and kind.
A lady is graceful, and a lady doesn't boast. 
A lady compliments others.
A lady is self-assured and well poised."

While I still consider myself a little girl and tomboy at heart, there is part of me that yearns to be a lady. The kind of lady who sets the table with cloth napkins and lights candles for dinner, who decorates her home pristinely and keeps fresh flowers in a vase. A gracious lady who always looks presentable and stays on top of sending birthday cards. But alas, I'm still figuring life out and often find myself wolfing down leftover spaghetti instead of savoring every bite and saying thanks. All the same, I'm proud to be a woman. I'm proud of being small. I'm proud of my domestic achievements when I keep the house tidy or make a good meal. I'm proud of my career direction and role in the larger world. I don't think that being lady means that I can't be independent, quite the opposite. The most ladylike people I know are confident as themselves and help others feel loved and respected wherever they are in life. At the core, this is what I want to emanate. I want to improve myself to help improve the world. 
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me. 
-Maya Angelou
 

Outfit Details
Shirt: Hand-me down
Skirt: Thrifted
Socks: Uniqlo

*Beginning quote from wiki-how.

No comments:

Post a Comment