Monday, May 9, 2016

Color Theory: A New Way of Getting Dressed.



Some of you may remember this dress from my post on restyling bridesmaid dresses. I bought it almost a year ago for the wedding of two dear friends and have found several occasions to wear it again by belting it, layering it, and mixing it up. Today I had the fun of restyling it using the basic color theory rule of 90 degrees

Here's how it works:
If you take two colors 90 degrees from each other the color wheel, you can create an unexpected but flattering color combinations. 


For my outfit I used the Blue-Yellow combination but you could try Orange-Purple, Olive-Navy, Blue-Maroon, Navy-Red, or whatever you want to play around with. Using the 90 degree rule on the color wheel is a great way to freshen up your wardrobe without buying anything new: you can safely experiment mixing and matching what you already have and come up refreshing and fun color combinations when getting dressed. If your nervous about your combination, start with an accent piece or tone it down with a neutral piece (cardigans are great for this). 
If you want to take it up a notch, go for two complimentary colors (colors that are opposite from each other on the wheel). One of my favorite photo shoots ever was this one that used complimentary colors red and turquoise. Once you know the rules, there is a lot you can do. Have fun and happy styling!


Outfit Details
Cardigan: Hand-me-down
Dress: Old bridesmaid dress
Belt Scarf: Rummage sale find
Shoes: Thrifted

3 comments:

  1. Good description of complimentary colors and the color wheel! Blue and yellow look so pretty together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am Ada. So glad I found your blog. I am a huge fan of color so I am loving this outfit and your color theory. The dress is so sweet, feminine and pretty and the balloons make this all so artistic!

    I welcome you to stop by my blog as well. I am a fan here. =) I run a linkup on Thursdays. I would love for you to join me pretty lady. Your style is too good not to be shared so welcome by. Thanks and have a great weekend! Ada. =)

    http://eleganceandmommyhood.blogspot.com/2016/05/thursday-moda-11-and-sneakers-plus.html

    ReplyDelete