Monday, October 24, 2016

DIY Candy Corn Ombré Tights


Materials
1 pair white tights
1 box yellow powdered fabric dye (I use RIT dye)
1 cup white vinegar
1 standard cleaning bucket of hot water

Directions
-Wet your tights in hot water.
-Dissolve package of dye in the bucket of hot water.
-Add your 1 cup white vinegar to the bucket.
-Hang tights in the dye bucket slightly above desired length where you want your gradient effect to occur.
-Wait half an hour stirring the dye mix occasionally.
-Slowly lower the still-white part of your tights in just a few inches and hold for thirty seconds to give a gradient effect.  
-Rinse tights until the water runs clear.
-Hang to dry.




Notes
This is a Do It Yourself project I have been wanting to do since last winter when I made my ombré dyed galaxy tights. I had the idea for dying candy corn tights and bought myself both orange and yellow dye for the project. I dipped the tights in yellow dye first but after half an hour in the dye bath the tights turned out pretty orange so I didn't need the orange dye after all (good thing I saved the receipt!). The tights for this project came from a nearby thrift shop (they were still in their original store packaging but sold for a quarter of the original price). So dye included, I spent a little over four dollars on this whole project and I love the way they turned out. They are perfect for Halloween but subtle enough that I can wear them all year round!

Do you have any fun DIY's to share? 
I would love to see them! Post in the comments below!

Outfit Details
Everything I'm wearing is old or secondhand.


2 comments:

  1. Love this DIY! So cute. xo

    Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were made for this costume outfit. So totally cute and yummy. @lauriepop2

    ReplyDelete