Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Interview with Ethical Designer Rachel Fernbach of PonyBabe

PonyBabe is an up and coming ethical clothing line designed and manufactured in Brooklyn, New York. The concept behind the collection is to provide clothing that works 24 hours of the day: clothing that is comfortable for sleeping and movement but can also be dressed up for formal situations. Working with a neutral palette, PonyBabe shows us a true example of a simplified wardrobe. All the items can be mixed and matched effortlessly. What's even better is that everything from the packaging to the fabrics is produced sustainably and transparently right here in the United States.
Today I had the pleasure of interviewing Rachel Fernbach, the designer behind the label.

What drew you to fashion initially?
I have a background in photography and fine arts, and I used to do a lot of home sewing. After stepping away from my career as a therapist, I wanted to get involved with a creative project, and was inspired by my experiences with yoga and dance to create a body-friendly clothing collection.

Who is your clothing designed for?
The 24 Hour Outfit is perfect for so many lifestyles. The comfy layers work well for yoga, meditation, and dance, but can also be dressed up for office casual. Expecting and new mothers will find the clothes great for their changing bodies - and the Cardigan and Wrap both double as on-the-go nursing covers. Minimalists and capsule wardrobe devotees are well served by PonyBabe's neutral color palette and simple silhouettes.

What inspired you in creating this collection?
I wanted clothing that I could wear 24 hours a day - for work, play, outings, and even nap time. I was inspired by my yoga practice, by listening to my body and finding out what I need to be comfortable all the time. I've often had women comment to me that I "look very comfortable" and I wanted to be able to share this experience with other women!

Have there been any major setbacks along the way?
Learning the ins and outs of clothing production has been a challenge, but there haven't been any major setbacks. I'd say the biggest challenge is simply gaining ground in a very competitive environment, and getting the word out about PonyBabe.

Do you have any advice for fellow designers?
I think it's important to receive feedback and input from people who have wisdom to share, but always remember that at the end of the day, your creativity and self-expression are what's most important! Stay true to your vision, and share your voice with the world. The world needs you.

To support Rachel's project, you can shop the pre-sale on PonyBabe's kickstarter.




2 comments:

  1. I'll definitely have to check this out! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jessica
    Jeans and a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a really cool company. I need to give them a look. Thanks so much for linking up with Fabulous Friday!

    ReplyDelete